Prior to hosting a child, host parents are required to:
- Complete an application to host, and other forms as requested.
- Complete a mini-homestudy and child abuse clearance and criminal background check.
- Attend mandatory host family preparation session.
- Attend weekend events (when scheduled) to allow the children to interact with other children and the escort.
- Provide children with (or participate in) recreational/educational activities during their visit.
- Assist with hosting the escort during the visit.
- Sponsor the child's trip ($2800).
- Provide necessities such as food, clothing, hygiene items to the child/ren during the visit.
Host families should reside in a state near the eastern coast of the United States in the region spanning from Florida up to Maine. (ME, VT, NH, MA, CT, RI, NY, NJ, DE, MD, PA, DC, VA, WV, IA, IL, WI, NC, SC, KY, GA, TX, and FL). Please contact us regarding your specific location if there is a question.
Although it has been our experience that some families fall in love with their host child and move forward to adopt, Open Hearts and Homes is not an adoption agency. Your role as a host family is to provide your host child with a safe, nurturing environment and to introduce them to family life and culture in America.