If you are ready to host, below are the steps you'll need to take to begin your journey.
Hosting Application Process:
- Visit our photolist on this website to 'meet' the children available for hosting. Photos and a brief bio are available on each child.
- Select a child/children you believe may be a fit for your family. Our regional coordinators are available to talk with you more in depth about the child's needs and help assess if a particular child would do well with your family situation.
- If you've spoken with the regional coordinator and determined the child/sibling set is a fit for your family, you can place the child/ren "ON HOLD" Fill out this form to formally place the child on hold.
- Submit your deposit $500 (check to OHHC or via PayPal).
- Complete OHHC Host Parent Application and return it along with supporting documents to OHHC within 7 days of placing child on hold. (Once application and deposit are received, child is considered "Hosted" on photolist).
- Schedule Home safety visit and submit background checks ASAP. These can take some time, so plan to do them early. These should be forwarded to OHHC once complete. If you need help finding a social worker to complete the home safety visit, your regional coordinator can provide names of Social Workers in your area.
- Submit payments according to schedule (listed on page 3 of application).
- Attend a one-day mandatory training (regional coordinator can provide dates/locations).
- Prepare for your host child's arrival.
- Greet your host child at the arrival airport and enjoy the hosting experience!
ON HOLD Request form – Fill this out to place a child on hold, after speaking with your regional coordinator. A deposit and application must be received within one week of placing a child on hold or child will be removed from the "On Hold" status.